Why Your Kids Shouldn't Drink Too Much Ketchup

Why Your Kids Shouldn't Drink Too Much Ketchup

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ketchup is one of the most popular sauces among the little ones, who can sometimes abuse it by seasoning all the dishes that pass through their hands with this tomato sauce.

While ketchup is common in almost every home, few parents look at the ingredient list, except in cases of allergies. On our site we analyze ketchup and We explain why your children should not drink too much ketchup.

The ketchup ingredients, according to the original recipe, are tomato, sugar, vinegar and condiments such as onion, garlic, pepper, paprika, cinnamon, mustard etc. However, at present, industrial ketchups rarely contain more than 10% tomato, leaving 90% to the freedom of the manufacturer.

This 90% basically contains water, starches, thickeners, salt, vinegar, colorants, flavorings, spices and condiments and, sugar, a lot of sugar. We should limit our children's ketchup consumption for several reasons:

  • The sugar content in this tomato sauce can reach, and even exceed 25%, an undesirable amount in the diet of the little ones. There are some low sugar varieties on the market, which could be somewhat more appropriate. The risk of developing diabetes in adulthood is increased if the child consumes a diet rich in simple sugars, such as the one present in ketchup, in addition to increasing the risk of obesity and overweight, especially if the child is also sedentary.
  • Although the amount of salt in ketchup varies greatly, some commercial brands exceed 3 grams of salt per 100 grams of tomato sauce, something dangerous in childhood, increasing the risk of hypertension in adolescence and adulthood - due to the sodium present in salt. Considering one of the brands whose salt content is medium, about 3-4 tablespoons of ketchup already exceed the amount of salt that a child should consume daily, so you have to be careful with the portions.
  • Other ingredients, such as high fructose corn syrup, responsible for the sweet taste of ketchup, are related to consumer health problems,according to the results of various scientific studies. This syrup is basically sugar, that is, glucose and fructose, but it is even more processed than the refined sugar itself and, more importantly, it can be addicting. Children are particularly fond of ketchup, and high fructose corn syrup is probably responsible for it.
  • The ketchup masks even the most intense flavors, preventing the child from becoming familiar with the flavors of home cooking. When the child's palate begins the complementary feeding, it gets used to the different flavors that are offered, deciding which ones they like and which ones they don't. The use of ketchup to flavor their dishes does not allow the child to differentiate flavors, and, what can be beneficial at the moment - since the child finishes his plate without complaining - can become a problem in the long run.

You can read more articles similar to Why Your Kids Shouldn't Drink Too Much Ketchup, in the Infant Nutrition On-Site category.

Video: 8 Popular Foods We Dont Eat Anymore, Heres Why (February 2023).